Website

Also visit me at carrielmartens.com

Thursday 17 January 2013

To all those cooking dinner tonight

Today, as I was feeling a little frustrated coming up with a dinner idea and getting it prepared and into the crockpot, I found myself thinking of the various experiences of others who were also in charge of dinner tonight. My situation is pretty simple. I am underemployed, so I actually have time to cook. I also love cooking and I'm pretty good at it (or so Alicia says). I also cook for only one individual who eats whatever I serve her. I actually have a pretty sweet deal.

Today however, I remembered that some of you are struggling today to cook for one, or you have the challenge of cooking for a large number of people, or anything in between.

I remembered that some of you are cooking for people with a variety of food sensitivities or allergies that make meal planning an incredible challenge. Especially if only some members of the family have those needs. 

I remembered that some of you are cooking for very picky eaters who just don't seem to ever like what you serve. 

I remembered that some of you are working full time and trying to just find the time to get food into yourself and your loved ones. 

I remembered that some of you are cooking with little ones clinging to your legs, getting into things they shouldn't or are just needing you in various ways. 

I remembered that some of you are trying to fit in making nutritious meals around wacky and varied schedules including school, work, sports practices and music lessons. 

I remembered that some of you are children or teens who have the responsibility of preparing dinner tonight and cooking is still a skill that takes a lot of thought. Stress!

I remembered that some of you are amazing cooks who wish you had the time and energy to really immerse yourself in the craft rather than hastily throwing things together. 

I remembered that some of you love to put meals together and serving your family is actually a lot of fun. 

I remembered that some of you hate cooking and others are just bad at it. 

I remembered that some of you are struggling to to find the money to put food on the table. 

I remembered that some of you are cooking while also caring for loved ones who are sick, 

And I remembered that some of you have the task of cooking every. single. day. and sometimes you just can't think of what to make anymore. 

So whatever your situation this is my blessing for you today,

May you be gifted with both an idea and the right ingredients,
May you read your recipe correctly (or may your experiments lead to success),
May your preparations go smoothly and not require band-aids,
May your cat not walk on the countertop, 
May you have the energy to do what is needed,
May no one break anything, vomit or poop,
May all who partake do so without complaining,
And may someone say Thank-You!

For the task you are undertaking is a gift.


2 comments:

  1. Carrie, this is so good! You covered it. I've almost forgotten the day to day challenge of coming up with interesting menus. What the preparer puts on the table is indeed a gift. Sometimes it may even be a burnt offering which came with much sacrifice! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And sometimes those burnt offerings were the ones made with the most love!

      Delete